PMA provides alternator eligibility for the majority of Cessna 172, 182, 206 and Caravan aircraft.
Montgomery, AL, (May 4, 2015) — Representatives of Hartzell Engine Technologies LLC, announced today that the company has received Parts Manufacturer Approval (PMA) for its ASG series of alternators. The company supplies the ASG series alternators for Cessna OEM production and the PMA also provides eligibility to replace older Ford units on a variety of Cessna single and twin-engine aircraft. ASG series alternators are 24V and are available with 60- or 95-amp output.
“The Ford units found on many Cessnas built before 1986 are over 30-years old. Hartzell, along with other alternator shops have overhauled many of these units multiple times. This PMA will make moving up to our new ASG units a cost-effective alternative to overhauling current alternators,” Mike Disbrow, president of Hartzell Engine Technologies (HET) said. “While these new ASG alternators are direct form and fit replacements for the old 24V Ford units (DOFF10300B and E3FF10300AA), there have been some improvements incorporated to their design and manufacturing.”
“For example, both the 95- and 60-amp units incorporate an improved rotor design with more wire turns than the old Ford units they replace. This improves low-speed performance – making more amps at idle power,” he said. “In addition, both the 95- and 60-amp units have incorporated life enhancements over the Ford units.”
“The 60-amp units have improved brush material for better wear characteristics and the 95-amp units have improved heat sinks to keep the rectifier cooler,” Disbrow said.
He also explained that another improvement Hartzell has made to the ASG series alternators has been the use of its resistance bond processing on every rotor. “Rotor short circuits are a common failure mode of the older alternators due to chafing between the wire turns,” he said. “The resistance bonder quickly fuses the rotor wire down to the core, which eliminates the risk of internal shorts. In addition, as part of the process the machine automatically tests each unit for a variety of electrical performance parameters. This assures greater consistency and reliability.”
“After final assembly every alternator we produce also undergoes a thorough pre-delivery performance audit at our state-of-the-art testing station. Finding issues here will dramatically reduce problems in the field,” Disbrow said. “Our goal with our alternators and every product we manufacture is to provide the best performance, reliability and value possible.”
The newly received FAA PMA includes the following Hartzell alternator models:
• ASG10001-17 (60A/28V, Small Frame Ford mount) used on Cessna 172R, 172S, 182S and 182T, as well as being eligible to replace Cessna/Ford alternators on legacy 28V, 188 and 207 model Cessnas. Replaces Ford DOFF10300B (Cessna P/N 1570213-7) and Cessna P/N 9910591-5 and -11.
• ASG10001-13 (60A/28V, Small Frame Ford mount) eligible to replace Cessna/Ford alternators used on several legacy 28V single engine Cessnas, including 152, 172, 177, 180, 128, 206 and 207. Replaces Ford DOFF10300B (Cessna P/N C611503-0101 and -0102).
• ASG10001-18 (60A/28V, Small Frame Ford mount) used on Cessna 206H, T206H. Replaces Cessna P/N 9910591-6 and -12.
• ASG12000-1 (95A/28V, Large Frame Ford mount) is eligible on many 28V legacy piston engine Cessnas, including: 182, R182, T182, TR182, A188, T188, U206, TU206, 207, T207, 210, T210, P210, and T303. Replaces Ford E3FF10300AA (Cessna P/N C611505-0102) and Cessna P/N 9910592-1.
• ASG12000-2 (95A/28V, Large Frame Ford mount) used on all Cessna 208s. Replaces Cessna P/N C611505-0201 and 9910592-2.
• ASG12000-3 (95A/28V, Large Frame Ford mount) used on Cessna 182S, 182T, T182T, 206H, T206H with 95A option. Replaces Cessna P/N 9910592-3.
Hartzell Engine Technologies also offers the ES-4000 alternator, which is an FAA PMA approved replacement for Cessna/Ford alternators on 14V Cessna 172 and 182 models, replacing Cessna P/N C611501-0102.
Hartzell Engine Technologies’ ASG series alternators are now available through the company’s authorized distributors, as well as through Cessna support.
All new Hartzell alternators purchased from an authorized distributor carry a three-year/1,000-hour (whichever comes first) warranty, whereas overhauled units are limited to a six-month/250-hour (whichever comes first) warranty.
About Hartzell Engine Technologies LLC.
Hartzell Engine Technologies LLC, along with its sister company, Hartzell Propeller Inc., form the general aviation business unit of Tailwind Technologies Inc., a growing aerospace technology company. Hartzell Engine Technologies is the leading OEM supplier of aircraft cabin heating solutions and engine accessories, including turbocharging systems, aircraft alternators, starters and fuel pumps. For further information about Hartzell Engine Technologies and its products please visit: www.Hartzell.aero.
HET ASG12000 Alternator